Statutory guidance for schools, local authorities and the police on dealing with poor attendance and behaviour in school.
This statutory guidance is for:
- school staff
- governing bodies
- local authorities
- the police (for penalty notices)
It applies to:
- local-authority-maintained schools
- academies and free schools
- pupil referral units (these provide education for children who can’t go to a mainstream school)
The guidance provides information on dealing with poor attendance and behaviour in school using:
- parenting contracts
- parenting orders
- penalty notices
These are measures to deal with anti-social behaviour by children and young people.
Statutory guidance is issued by law. You must follow it unless there’s a good reason not to.
Published: 13 November 2013
Updated: 5 January 2017
- Reviewed guidance and confirmed it’s up to date. Updated review date.
- First published.