© Crown copyright 2014
This publication is licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0 except where otherwise stated. To view this licence, visit nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3 or write to the Information Policy Team, The National Archives, Kew, London TW9 4DU, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where we have identified any third party copyright information you will need to obtain permission from the copyright holders concerned.
This publication is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/ministry-of-defence-police-committee-terms-of-reference/mod-police-committee-terms-of-reference
The committee’s statutory purpose is as stated in the MOD Police Act 1987: to advise the Secretary of State “with respect to such matters concerning the Ministry of Defence Police as he may from time to time require”.
The Secretary of State for Defence requires the committee to advise him by:
a. providing an independent scrutiny and assurance that the Ministry of Defence Police (MDP) is delivering policing services in accordance with the MDP Act 1987;
b. giving advice to the top level budget holder within whose organisation the MDP sits on the efficiency, effectiveness and performance of the force.
In order to perform this role the Committee is required to:
- Provide scrutiny and guidance to ensure that police powers and authority are impartially and lawfully exercised by the Chief Constable
- Confirm that MDP is meeting the standards required of a police force
- Confirm that MDP’s exercise of its authority is responsible, proportionate and impartial
- Confirm that MOD’s use of the MDP is appropriate in relation to the exercising of policing powers and authority
- Provide scrutiny and guidance on matters of efficiency and effectiveness and on any other matter in relation to the use of policing powers which fall within the responsibility of the MDP
- Consider the MDP’s targets, financial performance and risk management arrangements
- Provide advice once a year to the TLB Holder covering financial performance and risk management for inclusion in the Annual Assurance Report
- Assist in the appointment of Chief Officers to the MDP
- Consider all complaints made against MDP Chief Officers. This responsibility may be delegated to a sub-panel of the MOD Police Committee
- Undertake all responsibilities required of the MOD Police Conduct and Appeal Regulations (Statutory Instruments)
- Submit an annual report to the Secretary of State for Defence on the MDP’s discharge of policing powers, and to provide advice to ministers and the department, on matters concerning value for money and efficiencies
- Publish the operating costs and expenses of the Police Committee each year