This review looks at data gathering and measurement of modern manufacturing, and how it may be improved in future.
Ref: BIS/16/65 PDF, 1.58MB, 62 pages
Ref: BIS/16/65/AB PDF, 555KB, 34 pages
Ref: BIS/16/65/AC PDF, 711KB, 30 pages
Ref: BIS/16/65/AD PDF, 885KB, 11 pages
Ref: BIS/16/65/AE PDF, 283KB, 11 pages
Ref: BIS/16/65/AF MS Excel Spreadsheet, 52KB
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
The manufacturing metrics review was commissioned by BIS in autumn 2014. The independent expert group that conducted the review was asked to:
- identify opportunities to better explain the performance and contribution of UK manufacturing activity
- identify gaps in current metrics and the implications of not addressing them
- develop proposals that could lead to the trialling and introduction of new or additional metrics
The group’s report has developed a number of proposals on which we would welcome views. These include:
- new representations of the manufacturing value chain
- opportunities to make better use of existing national data to improve understanding of modern manufacturing activity and business models
- potential of data analytics to provide new insights into modern manufacturing activity
Any comments on the report’s findings should be sent to BIS.ManufacturingPolicy@bis.gsi.gov.uk by Friday 1 April 2016.
Published: 24 February 2016