- Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
- Part of:
- Industrial strategy
- 30 October 2017
- Last updated:
- 1 November 2017, see all updates
An industry-led review exploring how UK manufacturing can maximise benefits from increasing adoption of digital technology through a strong industry and government partnership.
PDF, 3.79MB, 231 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This independent review of industrial digitalisation - Made Smarter - was led by Professor Juergen Maier, CEO Siemens UK.
The Made Smarter (previously Industrial Digitalisation) Review sets out how UK manufacturing can be transformed through the adoption of industrial digital technology (IDT). Over 10 years industrial digitalisation could boost UK manufacturing by £455bn, increasing sector growth up to 3% per year, and creating a net gain of 175,000 jobs whilst reducing CO2 emissions by 4.5%.
The Review focuses on three priority areas informed by understanding of the three main challenges business face. They are:
- Leadership: more ambitious, informed and focused leadership
- Adoption: more widespread adoption of IDTs across supply chains, especially within SMEs
- Innovation: faster innovation and creation of new IDTs, new IDT companies / value-streams and new capabilities to sustain UK competitive advantage.
Professor Juergen Maier was commissioned by government to put forward proposals for an Industrial Digitalisation sector deal in the Industrial Strategy green paper.
Published: 30 October 2017
Updated: 1 November 2017
- Text within the Detail of the page simplified
- First published.