Results of the seventh survey of knowledge transfer activities among public sector research establishments (PSREs).
Results of the seventh survey of knowledge transfer (KT) activities among public sector research establishments (PSREs). The survey also includes organisations that receive public sector funding for knowledge transfer activities.
Knowledge transfer is defined as flows of scientific knowledge. The variety of knowledge transfer activities includes:
- free sharing of research outputs
- research collaborations and contract research on behalf of industry
- the licensing of technology to business users
- the sale of services, data and software
- the formation of joint ventures and spin-off companies
The first survey took place in 2004. The survey has covered the following groups of research establishments:
- cultural institutions – such as art galleries, museums, and arts and heritage organisations, mainly funded by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS)
- NHS regions – which are not institutions as such but relate to the research activities of all NHS trusts within a UK region
- departmental research bodies – representing all other government department PSREs not covered by the first 2 categories
- research council headquarters and institutes