1. IP Equip
This e-learning tool helps businesses and business advisors understand intellectual property rights ie trade marks, patents, copyright and designs.
IP Equip contains 4 short modules and uses case studies to show why intellectual property is important.
Many of our customers complete IP Equip to learn about IP.
- free access to business checklists, business guides and a document library
- CPD credit on completion (1 point)
- IPO certification via a certificate
- you can use your smart phone, tablet or PC to take the training
1.2 Link to modules
2. IP Equip App
The success of your business depends on your commitment to your business assets. What seems unimportant today might be worth millions of pounds in the future.
Our IP Equip smart phone app will help you:
- identify the most relevant route to managing and protecting your intellectual property
- avoid costly mistakes
- create value from your IP
IP Equip App also contains some great video links to business people who explain how identifying, protecting and owning their IP has led to success for their businesses.
Talking about how important IP is to a business strategy, Claire Mitchell, Inventor at Chillipeeps, said:
If people copied our idea it would be detrimental to our business. The patent warns people off, gives us protection and was important for our innovation.
The app also provides a great platform for you to view the latest news and developments in the IP world, with access to our news and Twitter feeds as well as the IP Insight e-newsletter.
3. IP Health Check
Every business will own some form of IP. It could be the artistic design, shape, technology or brand of your product or process, but do you know how to protect and exploit these intellectual assets?
The IP Health Check online tool is free to use and will help you answer these questions. It’s broken down into the 4 IP elements covering patents, trade marks, designs and copyright, as well as advice on licensing intellectual property and managing confidential information.
Just answer a series of simple questions and a tailored confidential report will be created for you, based on what you have told us. The report will include;
- a list of recommended action points, to help you protect and exploit your IP rights
- an explanation of why we have made each recommendation
- guidance on how to put each recommendation into practice
- links to useful information, websites and other resources
4. IP Master Class
Many business advisors understand the importance of IP within a business. Reach your potential with this CPD certified quality IP advisor training for business professionals.
This specialist course will enable you to develop a detailed understanding of IP and how it relates to business. You will also develop sound practical skills you can apply to a business environment.
92% of people who have attended the IP Master Class now find it easier to recognize intellectual property (patents, trade marks, designs and copyright) within a business.
4.1 Master Class objectives
You will be able to identify the most relevant and cost-effective route to protecting your IP by:
- understanding the different types of IP, including both registered and unregistered rights
- comparing and evaluating registered and unregistered rights to understand how they apply to the different activities within your business
- understanding the time, cost and restrictions on registering and maintaining trade marks and designs, and applying for and maintaining patents
- understanding the UK and international rights granting frameworks
Avoid potentially costly mistakes by:
- understanding how and when to enforce your IP rights, and how to ensure you don’t infringe the rights of others
- developing professional database searching techniques for patents, trade marks and designs
- recognising when to seek professional, legal advice
Create the most value from your IP by:
- understanding how IP should form part of your overall business strategy
- knowing when and how to identify commercial opportunities offered by licensing and franchising
For a full breakdown of topics covered on the course see the IP Master Class agenda.
4.2 Course availability and costs
Run over two and a half days, the classroom based course costs £250 + VAT. Dates we will be holding courses over the coming year are advertised on our events calendar.
If you cannot attend any of the advertised courses but would like us to let you know when the next course is booked please let us know.
If you have a large number of attendees and would like us to run a bespoke course at your premises please contact us and we will endeavour to arrange this.
The course is also available online allowing you to complete it in your own time and save it as you go. This is broken down into 8 modules and should take roughly 8 hours to complete. You can register for this at any time. The cost is £200 + VAT.
The course content is the same as the face to face course and contains:
- videos from internal and external experts
- interactive quizzes on business scenarios
- case studies
- an IP review
To register for either the face to face or online course please fill in and submit the IP Master Class booking form
For further information on the course please email email@example.com.
Chris Probert, Innovation Specialist, Welsh Government:
The IP Master Class is excellent. The experts not only deliver engaging content but also facilitate insightful Q and A sessions. It’s a great combination. The value I can now bring to discussions with clients is significantly enhanced. IP is an issue for every business I meet, so the knowledge that comes from the IP Master Class is something I use almost every day.
4.3 IP Health Check advisors
IP Health Check advisors attended the IP Master Class and went on to complete accredited course work from Coventry University.
Accreditation is no long available, but the list of people who were accredited has been published.