Induction for newly qualified teachers (NQTs)
Statutory guidance on NQT inductions for headteachers, school staff and governing bodies.
This statutory guidance is for:
- school staff
- local authorities
- governing bodies
It applies to:
- local-authority-maintained schools
- academies and free schools
- pupil referral units
- independent schools
- sixth-form colleges
- further education colleges
The guidance covers settings which:
- are required to offer induction to their NQTs
- choose to offer induction to their NQTs
This guidance relates to The Education (Induction Arrangements for School Teachers) (England) Regulations 2012.
This updates and replaces the statutory guidance which accompanied the Education (Induction Arrangements for School Teachers) (England) Regulations 2008.
Published: 16 December 2013
Updated: 22 December 2016
- Replaced guidance with a revised December 2016 edition.
- Replaced the document with 2016 edition. Annex B, paragraph 18 gives more detail on when overseas trained teachers (OTT) can work in a school without having completed an induction period. Clarified what is meant by independent sector when referring to statutory induction.
- DfE has reviewed and republished this guidance and confirmed it is up to date.
- First published.