Research and analysis
Independent driving in the driving test: evaluation
Evaluation of how learner drivers and approved driving instructors have responded to the independent driving part of the driving test.
PDF, 2.24MB, 89 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
In October 2010, a 10 minute section of independent driving was added to the practical driving test.
This report aims to:
- assess candidates’ experience of the driving test
- understand how learners are preparing for the independent driving part of the test
- understand how much newly qualified drivers consider that it helped the move to solo driving
- identify newly qualified drivers’ post-test experiences of driving independently and their post-test safety record
- understand if and how approved driving instructors have changed their training programmes in response to the introduction of independent driving