HS2 Phase One Route-wide Traffic Management Plan
The HS2 Phase One Route-wide Traffic Management Plan sets out how the project will manage all transport, traffic and highway issues associated with the delivery of the project.
In accordance with the current draft of the HS2 Phase One Code of Construction Practice, a Route-wide Traffic Management Plan (RTMP) has been prepared by HS2 Limited. The RTMP sets out how the nominated undertaker will manage traffic, transport and highways during the delivery of Phase One of HS2.
The draft RTMP develops the requirements of the Code of Construction Practice, how related provisions of the HS2 Phase One Bill will be put into effect and codifies discussions held with the highway authorities via the Highways Sub Group to the Planning Forum. The RTMP ensures that the project will be delivered so that it is consistent with relevant Undertakings and Assurances. Specifically, it deals with the following:
- The establishment of liaison meetings and the scope of contractor documentation to demonstrate compliance with the project requirements
- Control of construction traffic flows on the highway network and matters related to the development of lorry route approvals
- Vehicle and driver safety requirements
- Development and implementation of workforce travel plans
- Procedures for development and consultation on temporary traffic management schemes as well as provision of direction signing to worksites
- Requirements for the contractor to follow to protect of highways, such as mud control measures
Consultation on the draft RTMP was undertaken with key stakeholders between July 2015 and October 2015 and the final document has formed the basis for developing the requirements to be followed by the contractors who will be engaged to deliver HS2 Phase One.
The RTMP may require revision at in early 2017 following publication of the final Code of Construction Practice and to take into account the practical implementation of further Undertakings and Assurances given during the passage of the HS2 Phase One Bill.