On 11 February 2020, the Prime Minister made the decision to proceed with all phases of High Speed Two (HS2).
Following his appointment as the Minister for HS2, Andrew Stephenson MP initiated this review of the HS2 land and property acquisition programme, which was conducted by the Department for Transport (DfT) in summer 2020.
The HS2 Land and Property Review involved:
- representations from HS2 line-of-route MPs
- extensive interviews with key stakeholders
- a series of ‘deep dives’ by the Residents’ and Construction Commissioners
- input from HS2 Ltd representatives
- desk research by DfT officials on the compensation arrangements of other national and international infrastructure projects
The review generated 36 proposals, which draw on lessons learned from HS1 and HS2 Phase One, and focus on how things can be improved for Phases 2a and 2b.
The main themes of the review are that, going forward, the government is committed to: