How to be an attorney
Detailed guides for people making property and finance or health and welfare decisions under a lasting power of attorney.
PDF, 360KB, 21 pages
PDF, 222KB, 19 pages
PDF, 238KB, 12 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
These leaflets are for people appointed as attorneys under a lasting power of attorney (LPA) or who are considering taking on that role.
They include things to think about before becoming an attorney and answer common questions people have while acting as an attorney. The leaflets use plenty of case studies to help attorneys make decisions.
The leaflets cover:
- registering an LPA
- what tasks you’ll undertake as an attorney
- when you start acting as an attorney
- what mental capacity means
- how to help the donor make decisions
- understanding best interests
- claiming expenses as an attorney
- stopping being an attorney