Guidance for Ofsted inspectors carrying out school inspections under section 8 of the Education Act 2005.
This handbook sets out the arrangements for undertaking Ofsted inspections in the following circumstances:
- short inspections of schools judged to be good at their most recent section 5 inspection and those outstanding schools that are not exempt from section 5
- monitoring inspections of schools judged as requires improvement
- monitoring inspections of schools judged as having serious weaknesses
- monitoring inspections of schools judged as requiring special measures
- any inspection that is undertaken in other circumstances where the inspection has no specific designation, known as ‘section 8 no formal designation inspection’
- unannounced behaviour inspections
This handbook was updated on 13 October 2017: all changes will take effect on 30 October.
It should be read alongside the common inspection framework.