Beta This is a test version of the layout of this page. Take the survey to help us improve it
Handbook for short, monitoring and unannounced behaviour school inspections
Guidance for Ofsted inspectors carrying out inspections under section 8 of the Education Act 2005.
This handbook sets out the arrangements for undertaking Ofsted inspections in the following circumstances:
- short inspections of schools judged to be good at their most recent section 5 inspection and those outstanding schools that are not exempt from section 5
- monitoring inspections of schools judged as requires improvement
- monitoring inspections of schools judged as having serious weaknesses
- monitoring inspections of schools judged as requiring special measures
- any inspection that is undertaken in other circumstances where the inspection has no specific designation, known as ‘section 8 no formal designation inspection’
- unannounced behaviour inspections
This handbook was updated in August 2016. Our latest inspection blog post outlines a summary of changes.
It should be read alongside the common inspection framework.