The House of Commons Science and Technology Committee published the report of its inquiry into the Forensic Science Service (FSS) on 1 July 2011. The inquiry considered the government’s decision to manage the closure of the Forensic Science Service, including:
- the reasons for the FSS’s financial difficulties and the government’s decision making process
- the impact on forensic science research and development
- the wider implications for the criminal justice system
- the capacity of private forensic service providers
- the impact of forensic science services carried out by police forces
This command paper sets out the government response to the conclusions and recommendations in the committee’s report.