The Government Chemist Annual review provides highlights from the referee cases, advisory work and research carried out during the year, including:
- meat speciation – determining the provenance of meat in takeaway restaurant dishes
- illegal dyes in oils – resolving a dispute involving the illegal dye Sudan IV in palm oil.
- aflatoxins in nuts – evaluating the levels of these toxins in nuts and nut products in referee cases
- allergens in spices – developing methods to determine the presence of undeclared almond in cumin and paprika
- jelly cups – assessing the safety of a product that has previously been identified as a choking hazard
- nanomaterials – developing novel capability for nanoparticle analysis
In addition, the Review outlines our horizon scanning activities which include consultation responses and legislation updates.