The food industry sustainability strategy (FISS) will help the food industry contribute to the UK’s sustainability goal.
The Food Industry Sustainability Strategy (FISS) will help the Food Industry contribute to the UK’s sustainability goal.
This is important because the food industry accounts for:
- about 14% of energy consumption by UK businesses and 7 million tonnes of carbon emissions per year
- about 10% of all industrial use of the public water supply
- about 10% of the industrial and commercial waste stream
- 25% of all HGV vehicle kilometres in the UK
- healthy food choices and information that will assist consumers to adopt more healthy and balanced diets; and
- 12.5% of the UK’s workforce
The strategy is aimed principally at the food industry, but may be of interest to anyone wishing to find out more about sustainability, reduction in energy consumption, food transport, the use of water, the management of waste, corporate social responsibility, ethical trading or better regulation.
The strategy was published in May 2006.