How to dig a hole and examine soil condition.
Ref: LIT 5835 PDF, 2.51MB, 32 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
A handbook focussing on the practical techniques needed to effectively assess soil structure. Taking time to look at soil structure - the arrangement of soil particles in the soil - is essential for profitable farming, soil health and the environment. The handbook gives guidance on:
- preparing a hole for examination
- preparing a section of soil to be examined
- looking at pores and fissures
- looking at structural units
- looking at shape, size and colour of soil structural units
- assessing the packing density of soil
- using plant and root growth as an indicator of soil structure