Research into how new types of school are being established and lead.
Establishing and leading new types of school: challenges and opportunities for leaders and leadership
Ref: PB1093 PDF, 1.81MB, 90 pages
Establishing and leading new types of school: challenges and opportunities for leaders and leadership - executive summary
Ref: PB1093-ES PDF, 383KB, 6 pages
This research looks at university technical colleges (UTCs), studio schools and free schools. It looks at a sample of these school types, established in 2011 and 2012.
The research looks specifically at:
- how these schools recruit and select their leaders
- the skills and experience of the school leaders
- the specific challenges involved in establishing new schools
- how these schools operate to achieve success
- the support that benefits these schools the most