- Date requested: 7 May 2010
- Publish date: 2 June 2010
- Updated: 10 November 2010
Can the department provide information for each of the following financial years: (a) 2011-12; and (b) 2012-13? Please state:
- What assessment the Department of Children, Schools and Families has made regarding any additional costs that the Department of Children, Schools and Families will incur as a result of the Agency Workers Regulations 2010?
- Whether the Department of Children, Schools and Families plans to reduce the amount of temporary agency staff that it, and the agencies the Department of Children, Schools and Families is responsible for, uses, and if so, by what amount. Please express this amount in terms of cost and headcount?
In each case can the department include spending on pay and non-pay costs, i.e. costs in respect of agency fees, etc. which aren’t included in the pay the staff member receives but which are still a cost to the Department of Children, Schools and Families?
The regulation does not come into effect until 1 October 2011. The department is currently assessing any additional costs, but has not reached a conclusion.
The department’s current use of temporary agency staff is less than 1 per cent (0.74 per cent) of its staffing carder. The department can not be specific about future reductions in temporary agency staff for 2011-12 and 2012-13, however, the department’s policy is to keep the use of agency staff to a minimum.