Local authority regulators must use this process guidance note (PGN) to assess applications and write permits for compression ignition engines.
Regulators can be:
- district councils, borough councils, unitary councils or port health authorities in England and Wales
- the Scottish Environment Protection Agency in Scotland
- district councils or the Northern Ireland Environment Agency in Northern Ireland
This PGN includes:
- air emission limits
- emission monitoring methods
- best available techniques to control air emissions
Boilers and furnaces are a ‘Part B’ activity under the local authority pollution prevention and control (LAPPC) regime.