© Crown copyright 2019
This publication is licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0 except where otherwise stated. To view this licence, visit nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3 or write to the Information Policy Team, The National Archives, Kew, London TW9 4DU, or email: email@example.com.
Where we have identified any third party copyright information you will need to obtain permission from the copyright holders concerned.
This publication is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/client-money-protection-for-letting-and-managing-agents/client-money-protection-for-letting-and-managing-agents
The government has approved the following client money protection (CMP) schemes for letting and property management agents in the private rented sector:
- Client Money Protect
- Money Shield
- NALS Client Money Protection
- UKALA Client Money Protection
The government is considering other applications.
Letting and property management agents in the private rented sector who hold client money are now required by law to belong to a government-approved CMP scheme by 1 April 2019. These proposals were made on 1 April 2018 following consultation and have been passed by Parliament; agents must also:
- hold client money in a client money account with a bank or building society authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority*
- hold and maintain appropriate professional indemnity insurance
- have appropriate client money protection handling procedures
- obtain a certificate confirming membership of an approved CMP scheme and display this prominently in each of their offices where they deal with the public and on their website
- provide a copy of the certificate to any person who may reasonably require it, free of charge
CMP schemes may set additional requirements on membership.
*Or be making all reasonable efforts to do so. Note that while CMP schemes are permitted to offer a grace period to allow agents to open such accounts, they may only offer a grace period until 1 April 2020.