- Centre for Defence Enterprise and Defence Science and Technology Laboratory
- Part of:
- Centre for Defence Enterprise funding competitions
- 14 July 2014
- Last updated:
- 24 November 2014, see all updates
Further information on this Centre for Defence Enterprise (CDE) competition for £1 million research funding.
PDF, 160KB, 7 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Feedback will be sent on 2 March 2015. Please note that feedback is sent by post by our Commercial department, so you can expect to receive your letter within 1 week of the send date. If feedback hasn’t arrived within 2 weeks of the send date, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Total funding available for this competition is £1 million.
Competition closes on Tuesday 6 January 2015 at 5pm.
This CDE themed competition seeks proof-of-concept research proposals for novel technologies that could lead to a step change in UK military space-based capability or substantially reduce the cost of the systems.
This competition will fund exploratory studies and demonstrations to develop concepts and technologies required for delivering a UK space-based military capability. A smaller number of successful projects will be taken forward for further development.
Areas of particular interest include:
- technologies providing wide-area surveillance combined with ways of detecting small objects of interest
- technologies providing very frequent or persistent coverage to observe short-lived events
- methods for detecting concealed objects
- technologies to provide secure communications using hand-held terminals from hard-to-reach locations
- secure use of existing commercial space infrastructures
We’re also interested in reducing build and operating costs. Cost reduction should be achieved without reducing reliability or assurance of systems. We’d particularly welcome proposals that investigate the use of:
- novel platform technologies, including on-orbit propulsion and power systems, but excluding launch
- novel payload technologies, including deployable structures
View the presentation slides that were briefed at the event. You can also watch the webinar recording. This webinar recording link is available until 24 December 2014 and you’ll need to enter your name, email address and company details.
Technical team email: CdeSpaceEvent@dstl.gov.uk
Centre for Defence Enterprise
Telephone +44 (0)30 67704236
Alternative number +44 (0)30 67704237
Please email for the quickest response.
Published: 14 July 2014
Updated: 24 November 2014
- Webinar recording link added (available until 8 December 2014).
- Link to briefing slides added.
- Competition document is now available.
- First published.