Call for bids for the Magna Carta Fund for Human Rights and Democracy 2016-2017 is now open.
The Magna Carta Fund for Human Rights and Democracy (MCFHRD) is the FCO’s dedicated strategic fund supporting our global human rights and democracy work. Through targeted projects, it aims to further British interests overseas by tackling the root causes of human rights violations, strengthening institutions and governance, promoting and protecting human rights, and supporting democracy and the rule of law.
The MCFHRD is a strategic programme; we therefore assess every bid we receive carefully for impact and fit with both the overarching MCFHRD strategy, and the UK objectives for that country.
We are pleased to invite project concepts for 2016-17 funding for the following thematic areas:
• Democratic values and the rule of law - Uphold universal rights, democracy and the rule of law as key building blocks for more secure and prosperous societies
• The rules-based international order - Support an effective rules-based international order that stands up for universal rights
• Human rights for a stable world - Promote a more stable world by upholding universal rights in tackling conflict and extremism
The MCFHRD accepts project bids from civil society, commercial organisations, governments, think tanks, other UK government departments and international organisations. We encourage our Embassies and High Commissions to work closely with both local and international implementers, in order to identify potential projects that are of the greatest relevance to the UK’s human rights focus for that country.
Projects should begin at any time from May 2016. One year projects must be complete by the end of March 2017, two-year projects must end by March 2018.The HRDP will fund projects up to the value of £400,000 each year. Projects in excess of this amount may be considered exceptionally after consultation with the HRDP Team. Multi-year proposals are permitted (up to and including 2017/18), provided there is a strong rationale for multi-year funding.
How to apply
- Read the strategy carefully and ensure that any proposals you are considering are a good fit.
- Use the template provided below to submit a Project Concept Note by 08 February
- For single-country proposals, send to the British Embassy or High Commission in the country, or countries, you intend to work in (contact details for all UK Missions can be found here.
- •For multi-country proposals, send to HRD.Programme@fco.gov.uk
- It is also a good idea to discuss your project proposal in advance with the relevant project officer at the Embassy or High Commission
- Successful implementers will be invited to submit a full proposal by 07 March. The relevant Embassy, High Commission or the MCFHRD team will advise you on which proposal form to complete depending on the value of the project. The deadline for submission of the full project proposals is 7 March, 17.00 Baku time.
- It is our aim to inform all applicants of the final outcome of their bid by May.
Project concepts must be submitted electronically to Baku.ProjectBids@fco.gov.uk indicating “HRDP Concept Bid” in the subject field.
8 February, 17.00 Baku time.