How schools can buy, install and maintain an automated external defibrillator.
This information is for:
- local-authority-maintained schools
It provides details on how to:
- install, use and maintain an AED in school
- buy an AED
The guide’s buying arrangements are also open to:
- independent schools
- further education colleges
- local-authority-maintained nursery schools
- independent nursery schools
- pre-school establishments
- private, voluntary and independent nurseries
- holiday and out-of-school providers
An AED is a machine you can use to give an electric shock to a person to restore their normal heart rhythm.
Published: 26 November 2014
Updated: 19 June 2017
- Updated to reflect the latest AED purchasing arrangements.
- Updated document to reflect a reduction in price for defibrillators.
- Document updated to reflect a change in the price of defibrillators.
- Updates to the document, including revised sections on who the guide is for and purchasing an AED, and a new annex B which lists support arrangements for AEDs.
- Updated the list of who this information is for.
- NHS Supply contact number updated.
- First published.