Register for the Duty Stamps Scheme (DS1)
Use the online service or the postal form DS1 if you represent a business that wants to register for the Duty Stamps Scheme.
If you’re a representative of a business that wants to register for the Duty Stamps Scheme, you can either:
- use the online service
- fill in form on-screen, print and post to HMRC
To use the online service, you need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID you can create one when you use the service.
The notes describe what disqualifies businesses from registering for the Duty Stamps Scheme.
Email HMRC to ask for this form in Welsh (Cymraeg).
Before you start
- your VAT registration number, if you have one
- Company Registration Number
- the date of incorporation
- your SEED excise registration number, this is a 13 character reference number, you’ll find it on your approval letter
- your partner details, if the business is a partnership, including name, address, contact telephone number, date of birth, and HMRC reference number
- the business name and address of the authorised business if you’re authorising another business to incorporate duty stamps into labels on your behalf
- the business name and address of the overseas principal, if you intend to act as a duty stamps representative on behalf of an overseas principal
- details of when you were notified about each penalty, the amount of the penalty, and the reason you were liable if you’ve been notified of an assessment to a civil penalty in the last 5 years
- details of when the item was seized and the reason for the seizure if you had anything that was in your custody or under your control seized in the last 5 years
Find a version of the form that was used before January 2021.
Last updated 8 September 2022 + show all updates
The address to send the postal form to has been updated.
This page has been updated because the Brexit transition period has ended.
An online form service is now available.