Affidavit/Affirmation of Marital Status - Japan

Affidavit (religious) and Affirmation (non-religious) of Marital Status forms for marriage under local law in Japan


Affidavit form - Japan

This file is in an OpenDocument format

Affirmation form - Japan

This file is in an OpenDocument format

Guidance note

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email . Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


If you want to get married under local law in Japan you will need to complete an Affidavit (religious) or Affirmation (non-religious) of Marital Status form and book an appointment for marriage documents at the British Embassy Tokyo. The Affidavit/Affirmation will need to be completed in English and signed before a consular officer. Once it has been processed you need to submit it together with a birth certificate to the local city or ward office where you intend to get married.

Published 1 April 2015
Last updated 24 August 2017 + show all updates
  1. Marriage in Japan guidance note updated
  2. Forms and guidance note updated.
  3. First published.