Beta This is a test version of the layout of this page. Take the survey to help us improve it
Research and analysis
A study of the impact of school federation on student outcomes
Find out what impact federations have on outcomes for pupils.
The report explores how different types of federations impact on outcomes for pupils.
It identifies several types of federations:
- Cross-phase federations: 2 or more schools of different phases
- Performance federations: 2 or more schools, some low performing and others high performing
- Size federations: 2 or more very small or small schools, or a small school and a medium-sized school
- Mainstreaming federations:1 or more special schools combined with 1 or more mainstream schools
- Faith federations: 2 or more schools of the same denomination
- Academy federations: 2 or more academies run by the same sponsor within a federation or chain
Evidence from the case studies suggests performance federations have the strongest impact on outcomes for pupils. However, there is a time lag of between 2 and 4 years between forming the federation and seeing an impact.