Lord Younger was appointed as a Lord in Waiting in May 2015. He was also appointed as spokesperson on higher education business in the House of Lords in July 2016. Lord Younger is a Conservative member of the House of Lords.
He was educated at Cargilfield School, Edinburgh and Winchester College. He read medieval history at the University of St Andrews and holds an MBA from Henley Management College.
Lord Younger was elected as a hereditary peer in 2010 and served as a party whip before joining the Government in 2012. Lord Younger was a Lord in Waiting from June 2012 until January 2013 and served as Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Intellectual Property at the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills from January 2013 until July 2014. He was also Lords spokesperson for the Department for Culture, Media and Sport from September 2012 until January 2013.
Career outside politics
Lord Younger was a personnel manager at Coats Patons between 1979 and 1984 and subsequently a recruitment consultant and executive search consultant between 1984 and 1994. He was the Human Resources director of UBS Wealth Management between 1994 and 2004.
He is a member of the Royal Company of Archers, Queen’s Bodyguard for Scotland and President of the Highland Society of London. He is married to Jennie with three children and three working Cocker Spaniels, which keep him fit.
Lord in Waiting (Government Whip)
Lords Whips have the same constitutional position as departmental ministers. Their role in the House of Lords is different from that of Whips in the Commons, which is predominantly party management.
A Lords Whip has an active role at the despatch box promoting and defending departmental policy which involves:
- answering questions
- responding to debates
- taking through primary and secondary legislation
If the department concerned does not have a departmental minister in the House of Lords, all of that department’s business will fall to a Whip.
Previous roles in government
- New study highlights perspectives of the UP and UPC
- New faster online patent renewal service goes live
- New Patent Prosecution Highway opens between the UK and China
- Cracking Ideas amongst UK’s young people
- UK pioneer wins European Inventor Award for research
- Changes to copyright law
- Countries pledge to tackle multi-billion pound intellectual property crime
- Stronger enforcement to tackle counterfeiting and piracy
- International fake food raids bring record results
- Government committed to tackling IP crime