Peter Freeman CBE, QC (hon) was appointed as a board member of the Competition Service in October 2017. Peter is a Chairman of the UK Competition Appeal Tribunal (CAT) and a non-executive member of Single Source Regulations Office (SSRO) since September 2017.
From 2011-2013 he was Senior Consultant to the international law firm Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton. From 2005-2011 he was Chairman of the UK Competition Commission, having been a Deputy Chairman since 2003. Prior to that he practised for 30 years at the international law firm Simmons & Simmons, 25 of them as a partner, managing the Commercial Department and heading the EC and Competition Law practice group. He is a member of the Lloyds Enforcement Appeal Tribunal Panel, Chairman of the Appeals Committee of the HFEA, and a Governor of Kingswood School.
Peter Freeman was for many years Chairman of the Regulatory Policy Institute, Oxford, and has written and spoken widely on competition and regulatory law. He is a member of the Advisory Board of the International Competition Forum, University of St Gallen and the Scientific Board of Concurrencia e Regulacao, Lisbon.
Non-executive member, SSRO
The SSRO Non-Executive Members are responsible for:
- providing independent and constructive challenge
- establishing the strategic direction of the SSRO (within a policy and resources framework agreed with ministers)
- overseeing the development and implementation of strategies, plans and priorities
- overseeing the development and review of key performance targets including financial targets
- ensuring that the public body complies with all statutory and administrative requirements on the use of public funds