Paul Rennie was appointed Deputy British High Commissioner to Malaysia in August 2014.
Paul was born in Edinburgh. He began his education at George Heriot’s School, before going on to graduate with an MA in Economics & Politics (Edinburgh University) and an MSc in Economics (York University).
He joined the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in 2001 as the first of a new cadre of Diplomatic Service Economists. He has served at Posts in New York (United Nations), Brazil and India. As well as working on secondment to the Cabinet Office and the Department for International Development. Paul is a professional economist and has developed a particular expertise in the analysis of emerging markets.
Paul is also the Foreign Office lead on education strategy in the South East Asian region. This role involves: enhancing educational links between the UK and the region; supporting British education providers to take advantage of new opportunities; and increasing the people-to-people links through engagement and public diplomacy. He has worked with leading education providers from across the world and presented on the future of education at several international conferences.
Paul was appointed Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (OBE) in Her Majesty the Queen’s 2015 New Year Honours List for “services to UK-India relations”.
Paul is married with one daughter. When not indulging his passion for education and entrepreneurship, or enjoying time with family, Paul can most often be found playing tennis, golf and (occasionally) archery.He is a fan of travel, Formula 1 and photography, and reads as many history and politics books as his spare time will allow. He speaks English, Portuguese, Dutch, French and Hindi.
(In the finest traditions of the diplomatic service, Paul feels it is far too dangerous to make a pronouncement on his football allegiances).
- August 2014: Deputy High Commissioner to Malaysia.
- 2011-2014: Head of the Political Department, British High Commission, India.
- 2009-2010: Programme Manager, Department for International Development, India.
- 2008-2009: Head of G8/G20 Team, Cabinet Office, London.
- 2006-2008: Private Secretary to the Cabinet Secretary, Lord O’Donnell, London.
- 2003-2006: Head of the Economic Department, British Embassy, Brazil.
- 2002: Temporary Duty, UK Mission to the United Nations, New York.
- 2001-2002: Desk Officer, Economic Policy Department, London.