Paul became the Department for Education’s Director General of Children’s Services and Departmental Strategy in December 2014. This later became Children’s Services, Equalities and Communications in December 2015. He is also the department’s Head of Policy Profession.
His previous senior civil service posts include:
- Director of Children’s Social Care Policy, Department for Education
- Principal Private Secretary to the Cabinet Secretary Gus O’Donnell
- Deputy Director of Productivity and Reform, HM Treasury
- Head of Communications and Press Spokesman for the Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown
Paul has also worked in the children’s services department of a London local authority. For 9 years he was a trustee of a not-for-profit provider of residential and foster care.
Director General, Children’s Services, Equalities and Communications
The director general is a member of the Department for Education Board and attends both the performance and management committees.
The role is responsible for children’s services policy, the Government Equalities Office and ministerial functions:
- Private Office
- Ministerial and Public Communications Division
- Communications Division
Areas of work are:
- social work reform
- child protection
- children in care
- early education and childcare
- special educational needs
- equality strategy
- supporting DfE ministers and the department