Nick Joyce was appointed Acting Director General for Rail Group in the Department for Transport (DfT) on 25 April 2017.
Nick joined DfT in 2005 having spent 13 years with Ernst & Young where he qualified as a chartered accountant and worked on a range of corporate finance transactions.
Nick was appointed Corporate Finance Director in 2012, working on a range of complex commercial transactions and developing the department’s approach to managing its shareholder relationships with its major delivery bodies.
Nick is married with 3 children and lives in Sussex.
Acting Director General Rail Group
To contribute to the collective leadership of the Department for Transport as a Board and Executive Committee member and lead of the Rail Group.
The Acting Director General, Rail Group has overall responsibility for:
- developing strategy and policy for the rail sector in the context of broader government policy
- managing the department’s overall expenditure on rail services and infrastructure
- ensuring delivery of major projects and programmes including the:
- £5 billion Intercity Express Programme
- £6 billion Thameslink programme
- £14.7 billion Crossrail programme (jointly with Transport for London)
- delivering the ongoing programme of rail franchises
- effective sponsorship of:
- British Transport Police
- Network Rail
- Office of Rail and Road
- Rail Accidents Investigation Branch
- Transport Focus
Previous roles in government
Director General Resources and Strategy Group
- 2017 to 2017