Nick Dyer is the Permanent Secretary at the Department for International Development. He was appointed in July 2017.
Before taking on the role Nick held a number of positions within DFID including:
- Director General for Policy and Global Programmes (2013 - 2017)
- Director of Policy Division (2009 – 2013)
- Head of DFID Malawi (2006 – 2009)
- Head European Union Department (2002 – 2006)
- Senior Economic Adviser DFID East Africa, Nairobi (1998-2002)
The Permanent Secretary is the most senior Civil Servant in the department.
The Permanent Secretary is the accounting officer for the department, meaning that they are answerable to Parliament for how the department spends money, and chairs the Executive Management Committee, which provides strategic direction to the management of DFID’s operations, staff and financial resources.
Previous roles in government
Director General, Policy and Global Programmes
- 2013 to 2017