Michael Spurr became the chief executive of the National Offender Management Service Agency in June 2010, he continued as chief executive when Her Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service was created on 1 April 2017.
He started his civil service career as a prison officer at HMP Leeds in 1983 and worked in the prison service for 25 years at various establishments and at its headquarters. He was a governing governor at HMYOI Aylesbury, HMP Wayland and HMP/YOI Norwich.
Since then his career highlights have included:
- Director of Operations, HMPS Agency Board, 2003
- Deputy Director General, HMPS Agency Board, 2007
- Chief Operating Officer, NOMS Agency, April 2008
Chief Executive Officer, HM Prison & Probation Service
- strategic management and accountability of Her Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS) Agency
- CEO is a member of MoJ Departmental Board executive management committee
Previous roles in government
- 2010 to 2017