Michael Grenfell took up his role as Executive Director, Enforcement, at the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) on 15 July 2015.
Working closely with the Chief Executive, and as a member of the CMA Board, Michael’s role includes ensuring strategic leadership of the CMA’s enforcement portfolio.
Previous career highlights include:
- Senior Director, Sector Regulation and Concurrency, Competition and Markets Authority
- Solicitor and Partner at the international legal practice Norton Rose Fulbright LLP (previously Norton Rose), specialising in competition and regulatory law
- Member, City of London Law Society Competition Committee
- Co-author, with Martin Coleman, of ‘The Competition Act 1998’ (Oxford University Press)
- PhD in political thought (London School of Economics); MA (Hons) in history and law (University of Cambridge)
Executive Director, Enforcement
The Executive Director in Enforcement at the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is responsible for:
- leading the CMA’s enforcement work on Competition Act cases, criminal cartels and consumer enforcement, to provide value to markets and consumers
- providing strong, visible and dynamic leadership of the CMA’s enforcement work