Martin Coleman was appointed Panel Chair and Panel Inquiry Chair of the Competition and Markets Authority on 19 September 2018 and has been a Non-Executive Director of the Board since 1 October 2017. He is also a member of the Remuneration Committee.
Martin currently serves as Deputy Chair of the Office for Students, the regulator for higher education in England, and a trustee of Police Now, whose mission is to transform communities, reduce crime and increase the public’s confidence in policing. Martin is a Fellow of Hughes Hall, University of Cambridge.
Previous career highlights include:
- Member of the Council of the University of Kent
- Leading the global competition practice of the global law firm, Norton Rose Fulbright, and serving as a member of the firm’s management group until he retired as a partner in 2017
- Co-author (with Michael Grenfell) of ‘The Competition Act 1998’ (Oxford University Press)
- Board member, and Chair of the Education and Training Committee, of the Solicitors Regulation Authority
- Council Member of the Economic and Social Research Council, the UK’s largest organisation for funding research on economic and social issues
- Board member of the Higher Education Funding Council for England
Non-Executive Director and Panel Chair
Board members are responsible for:
- setting the organisation’s strategic direction and policy framework
- developing priorities
- monitoring performance against its objectives
- making decisions on Market Investigation References