Matthew is the Director General for Digital and Media Policy in the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport. In his previous role as British ambassador to Israel, Matthew set up the UK Israel tech hub, which laid the foundations for the UK and Israel’s powerful tech relationship. He was also the Government’s Director of Cyber Security at the Cabinet Office, focussed on keeping Britain safe from cyber attack.
Matthew’s previous roles also include serving as principal private secretary in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and as private secretary for foreign affairs in the Prime Minister’s office. Matthew has worked in Tehran, Islamabad, Washington and Manila.
Read more about Matthew’s appointment and experience on gov.uk
Follow Matthew on Twitter
Director General for Digital and Media
In his current job Matthew is responsible for the Government’s digital and media policy, including telecoms, internet safety, digital skills, data protection, cyber skills and growth, the creative industries, broadcasting and media. His goal is to make sure that the UK has the world’s best digital economy.
Previous roles in government
British Ambassador to Israel
- 2010 to 2015
- Speech delivered by British Ambassador to Israel at Queen's Birthday Party
- British Ambassador to Israel Matthew Gould’s Speech at the British Embassy’s Remembrance Sunday Ceremony
- Ambassador Matthew Gould speech to the Knesset
- British Ambassador to Israel speaks in annual JPost diplomatic conference
- The Queen’s Birthday Party Weizmann Institute, 3 June 2013