Lord Ashton of Hyde was appointed Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Culture, Media and Sport in July 2016. He was previously appointed a Lord in Waiting (Whip) in the House of Lords in July 2014.
He was educated at Eton College and Trinity College, Oxford.
Lord Ashton was elected to the Lords as a hereditary Peer in 2011 and before joining the government was a member of the House of Lords Select Committee on the Arctic.
Career outside politics
He served in the Royal Hussars and the Royal Wessex Yeomanry. Prior to joining the government Lord Ashton was Chief Executive Officer of Faraday Underwriting Ltd and sat on the Council of Lloyd’s. He was a member of the Royal College of Defence Studies’ 2013/14 course.
Lord Ashton is married with 4 daughters.
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State
The Parliamentary Under Secretary of State supports the work of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- DCMS business in the Lords
- First World War commemorations
Previous roles in government
- 2014 to 2017
- Consultation on proposals for changes to Gaming Machines and Social Responsibility Measures
- Consultation on the use of a Legislative Reform Order to reform the administration of the Horserace Betting Levy
- Call for evidence: Review of Gaming Machines and Social Responsibility Measures
- Karen Bradley welcomes DCMS Ministers
- Lord Ashton Heritage Alliance Speech
- New ministerial team at DCMS confirmed