Kit Malthouse was appointed Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Family Support, Housing and Child Maintenance at the Department of Work and Pensions on 9 January 2018. He was elected as Conservative MP for North West Hampshire in May 2015.
Kit attended Sudley County Primary school and then Liverpool College before studying Politics and Economics at Newcastle University.
Kit was a councillor on Westminster Council from 1998 to 2006.
He was a member of the London Assembly from 2008 to 2016. He served as Deputy Mayor for Policing 2008 to 2012 and Deputy Mayor for Business and Enterprise from 2012 to 2015.
Career outside politics
Kit is a chartered accountant, founding a midlands-based finance company, which he now chairs.
Kit is married with 3 children.
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Family Support, Housing and Child Maintenance
The minister’s responsibilities include:
- cross-DWP Commons spokesperson
- workless families, relationship support and support for disadvantaged groups
- childcare and maternity benefits
- child maintenance
- financial support for housing, including within Universal Credit
- other social assistance, including supported accommodation, Support for Mortgage Interest, Cold Weather Payments, bereavement benefits and funeral payments
- benefit cap implementation and benefit uprating