Kirstin Baker was appointed a Panel Inquiry Chair and Panel Member Non-Executive Director of the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) Board on 1 September 2018. She is also a member of the Remuneration Committee.
Kirstin had a long career in the civil service and was most recently HM Treasury’s Finance and Commercial Director. Earlier in her career Kirstin was part of the senior team leading the Treasury’s response to the banking crisis and was awarded a CBE for this work.
Kirstin has also worked as a competition official in the European Commission, as an EU policy adviser in the Cabinet Office and as a senior civil servant in the Scottish Government, leading work on infrastructure investment banks.
Previous career highlights include:
- Member, Competition Appeal Tribunal
- Group Finance and Commercial Director, HM Treasury
- Non-executive Director, UK Financial Investments
Panel Member Non-Executive Director and Panel Inquiry Chair
Panel Member Non-Executive Directors of the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) Board play an important role in setting up the organisation, working with the chair and chief executive.
As board members, they are also responsible for:
- setting the organisation’s strategic direction and policy framework
- developing priorities
- monitoring performance against its objectives
- ensuring the good running and independence of the panel system
- making decisions on Market Investigation References