Justin Tomlinson was appointed Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Work and Pensions on 9 July 2018.
He served as Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Disabled People from May 2015 until July 2016. He was previously the Parliamentary Private Secretary to Ed Vaizey MP.
Justin graduated with a business degree from Oxford Brookes University.
Justin was previously the Parliamentary Private Secretary to Ed Vaizey MP. Before being elected to Parliament, Justin served as a councillor in North Swindon for 10 years. He served 4 years in the council’s cabinet as the lead member for culture, leisure and recreation.
Career outside politics
Justin owned a local marketing business in Swindon for 10 years which he sold when he was elected an MP.
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Family Support, Housing and Child Maintenance
The minister’s responsibilities include:
- cross-DWP Commons spokesperson
- workless families, relationship support and support for disadvantaged groups
- childcare and maternity benefits
- child maintenance
- financial support for housing, including within Universal Credit
- other social assistance, including supported accommodation, Support for Mortgage Interest, Cold Weather Payments, bereavement benefits and funeral payments
- benefit cap implementation and benefit uprating
Previous roles in government
- All supported housing funding to be retained in welfare system
- Four members of the IIAC have been reappointed for a further 3 years
- Announcement of taskforce to look at improving accessibility of apprenticeships for people with learning disabilities
- Martin Temple appointed as the new Chair of HSE
- 132,740 disabled people supported through specialist employment scheme
- Disability Action Alliance: a new long term strategy
- UK employment reaches record high
- DWP services more accessible thanks to new British Sign Language pilot
- Support for the Built Environment Professional Education project on its second anniversary
- Public consultation launched on Personal Independence Payments