Emran Mian has been Acting Director General of Higher and Further Education (HE/FE) at the Department for Education (DfE) since October 2018.
Since returning to the Civil Service in February 2017, Emran has been Director of Strategy and Social Mobility and before that he ran a cross-party think tank, the Social Market Foundation. Earlier in his career, he held senior positions in both the Cabinet Office and Business Department.
Acting Director General, Higher and Further Education
The acting director general is a member of the Department for Education’s Leadership team and attends both the implementation and management committees.
The role is responsible for:
- higher and further education strategy and policy
- the adult education budget and 16 to 19 funding
- review of Post-18 education and funding
- further education provision, quality, restructuring and intervention
- workforce development, upskilling and lifetime learning
- analysis and data, including the exploitation of big data for further and higher education
- sponsorship of the Office for Students and the Student Loans Company
- careers and basic skills