Charles Randell is a non-executive board member of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS).
Charles has been an independent director of the Bank of England’s Prudential Regulation Authority since it assumed responsibility for supervising UK banks, insurance companies and large investment firms in April 2013.
Notable public sector assignments in energy include the:
- privatisation of the electricity and gas industries
- strategic review of British Nuclear Fuels
- restructuring of British Energy
Charles is a visiting fellow at Queen Mary University of London.
Non-executive board member
The main responsibilities of non-executive board members are to:
- attend meetings of the departmental board, chaired by the Secretary of State
- advise on strategy, performance and transformation, operational issues and the effective management of the department
- provide independent scrutiny for the department on request
- work with executives and their teams to continue to improve the performance of the department