Prior to working in Defence, Cat Little worked as Director of Group Finance at the Ministry of Justice, and oversaw all strategic financial planning, financial reporting, and financial management for the departmental group. Cat is a qualified accountant, starting her career at PwC where she spent 11 years in both assurance and advisory roles, dedicated to government and Public Sector services. In April 2014, she took up the role of Director of Finance and Digital at the Legal Aid Agency (LAA) until moving to the group finance role at the Ministry of Justice.
Cat is the Department’s Race Champion and is part of the LGBT network. Outside of Defence, Cat is a member of the Department of Health Audit and Risk Committee, a member Cross-Government Finance Insight Committee and acts as the Finance Fast Stream Sponsor across Government. Director General Finance.
Director General Finance
The Director General Finance is the principal financial advisor for Defence and is responsible for all aspects of financial management and control, including the overall Defence budget and forecasting within the MOD. They are a member of the Defence Council and the only Director General on the Defence Board and Chairs the Defence Board Sub-Committees for Finance and Investment Approvals. They are a pivotal advisor to the Secretary of State for Defence and report directly to the Permanent Secretary.
- acting as the Department’s Principal Finance Officer and Defence Authority for Financial Management, to provide advice and support to the Permanent Secretary as the Accounting Officer - including on regularity and propriety issues
- negotiating and managing the Defence budget;
- managing the Department’s in-year performance against targets and budgets;
- working closely with the Chief Operating Officer to assure the efficient operation of Defence;
- setting the framework of and targets for efficiency and value for money work across Defence;
- as Defence Authority, overseeing the Investment, Approval and Scrutiny processes and chairing the Investment Approvals Committee;
- production of the Annual Report and Accounts;
- advising on internal audit, fraud and assurance functions;
- setting the strategic direction of the Department’s Commercial function.
Previous roles in government
Director, Finance and Performance
- 2013 to 2017