Anne Milton was appointed Minister of State at the Department for Education on 12 June 2017. She was elected as MP for Guildford (revised boundary) in 2010.
Anne was educated at Haywards Heath Grammar School (which became Haywards Heath Sixth Form College in 1980, then Central Sussex College Sixth Form Campus in 2005) on Harlands Road in West Sussex.
Anne was appointed to the Health Select Committee, serving until December 2006, following her appointment as Shadow Minister for Tourism. In summer 2007 David Cameron appointed her Shadow Minister for Health. Between 2010 and 2012 she served as a Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State (Public Health), Department of Health and was appointed to the government as a whip with responsibility for HM Treasury and HM Household.
Career outside politics
Anne trained as a nurse at St Bartholomew’s Hospital in London and worked for the NHS for 25 years, as a district nurse and for people requiring palliative care.
Minister of State for Apprenticeships and Skills
The minister’s responsibilities include:
- apprenticeships including the apprenticeship levy, traineeships and institutes of technology
- technical education and skills, including T-levels
- careers education, information and guidance
- post-16 funding (including support for young people and adult learners)
- further education colleges, sixth-form colleges and local patterns of provision (including area reviews and city deals)
- adult education, including the National Retraining Scheme and links to the review of post-18 education and funding
- reducing the number of young people who are not in education, employment or training
- the Department for Education non-executive board
Previous roles in government
- 2017 to 2018
- 2017 to 2017
- 2015 to 2017
- 2014 to 2015
- 2012 to 2014
- 2010 to 2012
- Further Education providers invited to deliver new T Levels
- Second round of £5 million Taking Teaching Further programme opens
- Colleges receive funding boost to help raise standards
- Northern Powerhouse triumphs at National Apprenticeship Awards
- T Level Funding Consultation Launched
- Anne Milton addresses Association of Colleges conference
- Top college leaders to help strengthen further education sector
- Construction industry to benefit from major skills boost
- Minister attends UK’s largest interactive skills event to inspire next generation
- Teachers to benefit from £8 million initiative to boost skills ahead of T Levels roll-out