Personal information charter
This charter sets out what you can expect from UK Trade and Investment when we ask for, or hold, your personal information.
It also covers what we ask from you to help us keep your information up to date.
We need to handle your personal information to provide services for you. This is how we look after that information.
When we ask you for personal information, we promise to:
- make sure you know why we need it
- only ask for the information we really need
- protect it and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t
- let you know if we share it with other organisations to give you better public services - and if you can opt out of this
- make sure we don’t keep it longer than necessary
- not make your personal information available for commercial use without your permission
In return, we ask you to:
- give us accurate information
- tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes, such as a new address
This helps us to keep your information reliable and up to date.
You can ask for more information on:
- how to find out what information we hold about you, and how to ask us to correct any mistakes
- agreements we have with other organisations for sharing information
- our instructions to staff on how to collect, use, and delete your personal information
- how we check the information we hold is accurate and up to date
- how to make a complaint
For more information, contact email@example.com.
Accessing your data
You have the right to access and correct the personal information retained by the website.
We don’t pass on your details to any third party or government department unless you give us permission.
We will process any personal data you provide in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. We will also comply with the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003. Under this legislation, we have a legal duty to protect any information we collect from you. We use leading technologies and encryption software to safeguard your data, and keep strict security standards to prevent any unauthorised access to it.