We're an independent executive unit that supports Defra and the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland governments and their paying agencies to administer the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) in the UK.
We’re the sole point of contact with the European Commission on certain specified aspects of the EU’s agricultural funds.
We manage the online publication of amounts paid to CAP beneficiaries by UK paying agencies.
In addition we are the UK Certifying Authority for the UK European Fisheries Fund (EFF) 2006 to 2013 and the European Maritime Fisheries Fund (EMFF) 2014 to 2020, holding responsibility for the accurate certification of funds expended with the UK. A link to the Marine Management Organisation can be found here. An example of how EFF funds are used can be found here
Who we are
UKCB was set up by the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs; the Scottish ministers; the Welsh ministers and the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development of the Northern Ireland Executive, acting collectively, to carry out the functions of the Co-ordinating Body, as defined in Article 7.4 of Regulation 1306/2013.
We report to a Management Board, consisting of 4 individuals nominated by Ministers and the Director.
The chairmanship of the board rotates between the 4 ministers’ representatives.
We work to our constitution.
Our responsibilities are to:
- collect and supply the financial, audit and statistical information required by the European Commission (EC)
- work with the paying agencies to resolve problems in the administration of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) and keep the EC informed of any follow-up
- promote the harmonised application of EU rules
- represent the UK at the monthly meetings of the EU Agricultural Funds Committee
- support ministers in the granting, monitoring and withdrawing of paying agency accreditation, based on the annual reports of the UK Certifying Body and reports from the EC’s services
- manage the service level agreement with the UK Certifying Body
- set up and maintain the UK website for the publication of CAP beneficiary data
Our EFF/EMFF responsibilities are to ensure:
- the accurate certification of funds expended by the 4 UK intermediate bodies in England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales
- the submission to the European Commission of a payment claim requesting re-imbursement of expended monies
We’ve produced a presentation about the UKCB’s responsibilities.
Our priorities are to:
- work with paying agencies to ensure that they maintain their accreditation status and effectively administer the CAP, particularly in respect of CAP reform
- co-ordinate the UK’s response to EU audits
- mitigate the risk of financial corrections
- submit accounting, audit and statistical returns to the EU within regulatory deadlines
- oversee the transition to the new certification audit regime
- publish CAP beneficiary data in accordance with EU transparency rules
- deliver services efficiently and effectively
Our EFF/EMFF priorities are to:
- work closely with the UK Managing Authority in order to agree a joined up, risk based approach towards claim certification
- oversee a smooth closure of the EFF scheme
- oversee a smooth full implementation of the EMFF scheme