Complaints procedure

How to complain about matters relating to the traffic commissioners and operator licensing.

Make a complaint

The way you make your complaint depends on what you want to complain about. You need to use the right contact details to get your complaint dealt with as quickly as possible:

  • the personal conduct of a traffic commissioner (TC) or deputy traffic commissioner (DTC)

  • staff employed to support the traffic commissioners and deputy traffic commissioners (including in the Central Licensing Office)
  • enforcement action carried out by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
  • non compliance by a lorry, bus or coach operator or driver
  • bus service punctuality and reliability

If you want to appeal against a TC or DTC decision, you’ll need to contact:

  • the upper tribunal for operator cases
  • your local magistrates’ court for driver conduct cases

Complain about the conduct of a TC or DTC

To complain about the personal conduct of a TC or DTC, you can contact us via email or post.

You’ll need to read the complaints protocol and bias guidelines for TCs first.

Senior Traffic Commissioner
Office of the Traffic Commissioner
Hillcrest House
386 Harehills Lane


If you’re not happy with the response

If you’re not happy with the response to your complaint you can contact the Secretary of State for Transport, using the Department for Transport complaints procedure.

Complain about operator licensing services

To complain about the service provided by staff who support the TCs in their licensing (Central Licensing Office) or regulatory activities (Office of the Traffic Commissioner), you should contact DVSA.

The staff who support traffic commissioners are employed by DVSA.

Complain about enforcement action

The traffic commissioners are not responsible for the activities of DVSA enforcement staff. To complain about enforcement action you’ll need to contact DVSA.

Complain about a vehicle operator or driver

The TCs do not have any investigatory powers.

Report non-compliance by lorry, bus or coach operators and drivers to DVSA.

Complain about bus punctuality and reliability

You should contact one of the following organisations to report a bus service that is not running to the Senior Traffic Commissioner’s punctuality and reliability standards: