We are responsible for:
- resolving complaints by providing an accessible and flexible service and making fair and impartial decisions
- supporting and encouraging effective resolution throughout the complaints handling process
- using insight and expertise to support HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) to learn from complaints and improve services to customers
Find out about what we can and what we cannot look at.
The Adjudicator’s Office falls within the same legal entity as the Commissioners of HMRC, and the staff are employees of HMRC.
The Adjudicator is not an employee or an officer of HMRC. The Adjudicator is an office holder and is external to HMRC with the independent personal authority to investigate complaints about HMRC.
The Adjudicator and the Adjudicator’s Office are independent and impartial investigators of complaints concerning the conduct and performance of HMRC and the VOA.
The independence is preserved by the Adjudicator’s terms of appointment.
Our customer service
What you can expect from us
- treat you politely and professionally
- take care of the information you provide to us
- communicate with you using plain language and avoid jargon
- explain how we handle your complaint
What we expect from you
We expect you to treat our staff and the service we provide with respect. Our customer actions policy explains how we manage unacceptable actions.