Complaints procedure

How to make a complaint about the Rural Development Programme for England (RDPE)

Many questions about the RDPE Network can be answered quickly by the RDPE Helpline. You can contact them on 0300 0200 301 or by email at

If you’re not satisfied with our response, please follow Defra’s complaints procedure.

Before making a complaint, please also consider whether it relates to a service provided directly by the RDPE Network, rather than one of the Defra organisations responsible for delivery of the different schemes within the Programme. These delivery bodies have their own complaints procedures and the principal agencies can be contacted via the following links:

LEADER, Growth and Countryside Productivity

For complaints relating to the socio-economic schemes (LEADER, Growth and Countryside Productivity) please follow the Rural Payments Agency complaints procedure.

Agri-environment schemes (Countryside Stewardship)

For complaints relating to the agri-environment schemes (Countryside Stewardship) please follow Rural Payments Agency complaints procedure.