The board provides leadership and direction, setting our strategic aims, values and standards. Its work is governed by the
, first adopted on 1 April 2010 and last revised in November 2019.
Members of the board are:
- Ian Bauckham CBE, Interim Chair
- Simon Lebus, Interim Chief Regulator
- Hywel Jones, Interim Director of Secondary Schools, Astrea Academy Trust
- Dame Christine Ryan, former Chief Inspector and Chief Executive Officer of the Independent Schools Inspectorate
- Frances Wadsworth, Interim FE Commissioner
- Delroy Beverley CCMI, Managing Director, York Teaching Hospitals Facilities Management LLP and Chairman of North East, Yorkshire & Humberside Region of Chartered Management Institute
- Lesley Davies OBE, Interim Chair of Hull College Group, Chair of the UK Skills Partnership Group and Chair of the Trafford Youth Trust
- Mike Thompson, former Director of Early Careers at Barclays Bank
- Susan Barratt, former audit Partner at Deloitte
- Matt Tee, Executive Director, Integration, at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust.
- Dr Catherine McClellan, Deputy CEO (Assessment), Australian Council for Educational Research.
The executive directors are:
- Dr Michelle Meadows, Executive Director, Strategy, Risk and Research
- Catherine Large OBE, Executive Director, Vocational and Technical Qualifications
- Sean Pearce, Chief Operating Officer
- Julie Swan, Executive Director, General Qualifications
Standards advisory group
The standards advisory group is a committee of the Ofqual Board. It reviews research and makes recommendations about how we can maintain standards of qualifications.
It is made up of members of our board and independent assessment specialists.
The independent members of this group are:
- Professor Jo-Anne Baird, Director of the Department of Education, University of Oxford
- Professor Robert Coe, independent consultant, formerly of School of Education, Durham University
- Dr Tina Isaacs, Honorary Senior Lecturer in Educational Assessment, UCL Institute of Education
- Professor Gordon Stobart, UCL Institute of Education
- Professor Caroline Gipps, Emeritus Professor, former Vice Chancellor, University of Wolverhampton
- Professor Rebecca Allen, independent consultant, formerly of UCL Institute of Education
- Dr Mike Cresswell, Consultant in Assessment (formerly Chief Executive of AQA and Ofqual Board member)
- Tom Bramley, Director, Research Division, Cambridge Assessment
- Norman Gealy, Consultant in Assessment, former Chair of the Assessment Committee of the ICAEW, former head of research at the City & Guilds of London Institute
- Prue Huddleston, Professor Emeritus, Centre for Education Studies, University of Warwick
- Isabel Sutcliffe, Independent Consultant and formerly Pearson’s International Standards and Quality Director
Previous board papers available at the national archives